Earlier in 2017, Alice Springs hosted the Sheffield Shield Final between Victoria and South Australia and the new deal will see both the Strikers men’s and women’s sides take to Traeger Park. The Strikers have secured a deal with the Northern Territory Government to host a BBL fixture in the Red Centre in both 2018 and 2019.
The Strikers will take on Perth Scorchers at Traeger Park on Saturday 13 January 2018 with the WBBL double header to be played on January 13 and 14 respectively.
Strikers coach Jason Gillespie said the opportunity to bring fixtures to regional venues such as Alice Springs was vital to help grow the game of cricket nationally.
“We as a franchise see that it is our responsibility and our duty to get it out there to these places and we’re absolutely buzzing about the opportunity and hopefully getting some fans to travel and support us in Alice Springs,” he said.
“It’ll be a wonderful atmosphere and experience in the red centre of Australia and we’re very excited.”
NT Cricket CEO Troy Watson believes hosting a Big Bash fixture in Alice Springs is a major coup for the region, saying the idea was a long time in the making.
“It is a very significant announcement. The WBBL and BBL have been growing exponentially in the last few years recording record crowds,” he said.
“To have a game with this pedigree, and not as a pre-season fixture or ‘friendly, but for competition points’ is a real coup for the town and cricket in the NT.
“Obviously bringing quality content to cricket fans in the NT is always at the forefront of our minds. Discussions between all parties started quite some time ago though with leagues the size and scale of the WBBL and BBL there is a lot to be considered.
“With the recent visit of the Australian Men’s team to Darwin and now this announcement, we believe the unique circumstances and opportunities available throughout the NT are well recognised throughout cricket and will continue to grow.”